Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Books I've read

Let me start out by saying that I'm not much of a reader.  I would love to be but I have a tendency to fall asleep after reading only two pages at night.  Reading two pages a night doesn't get you far in the book world.  So the fact that I have read 4 books since the beginning of the summer is huge for me.   I think because my kids have gotten older, I actually have some time to read.  This coupled with several good book recommendations from awesome bloggers recently has helped in my book reading success.   Since I liked some of them so much, I thought I would share.



The first book of the summer, Bloodroot, was recommended by Edie.  She summed it up by saying that "it gets under your skin".  And it sure as shoot got under mine.  I started it on my getaway vacation with hubby.  I spent more time with the book than hubby.  On the mornings I was supposed to be sleeping in, I woke early and read it for hours.  I won't get into the details, but I will tell you it it's not for the faint of heart.  Of course Edie describes things much better so go here to read more about the book.

I'll only mention that I read The Midwife's Confession because, honestly, I didn't really like it.

Moving on, I finally read The Help.  I didn't even know about it until I watched a 20/20 episode on it.  I should get out more.


I'm glad that I read it.  I saw this performance on So You Think You Can Dance right after I finished reading it and I cried while watching them.  




And finally, I just completed Ellis Island by recommendation of the Sarah of Clover Lane.  (I already found a few more books to put on my list while searching her blog for this link!)  

It was great.  I'm so glad that it didn't end up being a cheesy love story.  I don't do those.  It was a little slow in the middle but I'm glad I hung on because the ending was surprising for me.  

So I'm currently reading In the Company of Others.  


I have been reading all of the Mitford series dating back from my student teaching days 13 years ago!   If you are looking for light, funny but meaningful stories, I highly recommend them.  They are a family favorite. 

I'm hoping to get some more reading done today so I can keep up on my good reading stretch.  I'm home today with the other sick one now!  I like to share books and my kids like to share germs. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...